RVH North Campus Redevelopment and Expansion
RVH current facility will double in size over the next decade to meet the healthcare needs of Barrie and area’s exploding population. The North Campus redevelopment and expansion must be carefully planned and done in stages to ensure we continue to provide uninterrupted care to our region.
North Campus redevelopment will start with maximizing the existing building, including the empty shelled units that were built as part of the 2012 expansion. We will increase clinical services, including critical care, maternal/child, cancer care, and mental health. We will also expand our non-clinical building, called Rotary Place, to free up space for patient care in the main building.
Once the nine-storey inpatient tower is built – which includes additional beds and new operating rooms– we will renovate space in the current building that becomes vacant as services and beds move into the tower.
In total, this project will add more than 240 beds to the North Campus, bringing our total to 630.
It’s very important to note, the North and South Campus are completely interdependent; one can’t proceed without the other. Services within the two-campus plan are integrated, not duplicated.
Phase 1 of the north campus plan includes renovations and expansion within the current building, including:
- Fit-out of the empty “shelled” space built in the 2012 expansion
- Significant expansion of maternal child, critical care, renal and surgery departments
- Expansion of the cancer centre to accommodate more radiation units and clinic space
- Linking the 2012 expansion with the original building
- Doubling the size of Rotary Place for non-clinical services
- Increased parking capacity
Within 10 years we will complete an inpatient tower on our current campus. The design includes adding a T-shaped, nine-story, 730,000 square foot tower on the west side of the current campus accommodating more than 200 additional inpatient beds. A helipad will be located on the roof of the tower. The tower will bring the total beds at RVH to 656.
RVH at a glance
- RVH is the largest hospital in Simcoe Muskoka.
- Annual operating budget of $386 million.
- Site of the Family Medicine Teaching Unit, a partnership with the University of Toronto Department of Family and Community Medicine.
- RVH has one of the largest volunteer forces in Ontario. It’s beloved ‘Blue Brigade’ has over 600 members.
- One of the region’s largest employers with 3,342 employees and 471 credentialed staff.
- 473,000 Patient Visits.
- 2.5 Million Laboratory Tests.
- 72,000 Emergency visits.
- 92,000 Cancer Center visits.
- 13,000 Surgeries.
- Awarded Exemplary Standing by Accreditation Canada.
- RVH has cared for over 550 COVID-19 patients and delivered over 187,000 COVID-19 vaccinations.